Distracted driving affects a driver’s ability to safely maneuver. Evidence reveals that motorists who split their attention between the road and something else for more than 1.5 seconds at a time risk a higher rate of crash or collision.
Interior Vehicle Distractions:
• Phones, screens, GPS
• Hygiene, grooming
• Adjusting radio volume, changing songs
• Passenger conflict and noise
• Eating, drinking
• Adjusting air conditioning, tilting the steering wheel, side mirrors, driver seat position
• Pets that are not in containment
• Reaching for fallen objects
Exterior Vehicle Distractions:
• Looking at a crash scene
• Looking at road construction
• Events of interest alongside the roadside
Consequences of Distracted Driving:
• Unable to avoid crash/collision with already stopped vehicles
• Lane swerving
• Unable to make fast decisions
• Impaired awareness
• Unable to perform an emergency maneuver
• Unable to see and follow traffic signals or signs
By safeguarding the vehicle against distractions, drivers can focus on piloting the vehicle.
Safeguarding the vehicle while driving:
• No cell phones.
• If you must use your phone, stop in a secure area.
• Avoid conflict with passengers.
• Stop to consume full food or drink meals.
• Secure children and give them items to occupy their attention.
• Secure pets in a carrier or kennel before driving.
• Set your vehicle preferences, like side mirrors, rearview, heat or A/C, before you begin driving.
• Use red lights to adjust car controls.
• Review all maps and routing before you begin your drive.
• If you need to re-route your trip, stop in a secure and safe parking area.
• Do not engage with occupants inside other vehicles.
• Do not wear or use headphones to listen to loud music.
• Remain focused, pay careful attention, and expect the unexpected.
About Regional Medical Group
Regional Medical Group (RMG) is a team of highly qualified accident doctors and medical staff who have teamed up with an extensive network of chiropractors that specialize in the treatment and care of patients who have been injured in any form of automobile accident, motorcycle accident, semi-truck accident, Uber auto accident, Lyft auto accident, slip-and-fall, or other work-related accidents. Regional Medical Group helps patients focus on injury treatment without the stress of how to pay for it.
Regional Medical Group is standing by to help with its remarkable network of chiropractors by finding its patients a ‘chiropractor near me’. For more information visit Regional Medical Group online at RegionalMedicalGroup.com or call today.
Regional Medical Group is your one-stop solution for accidental injury care.